Each and every one of us has the ability to make an impact on our carbon footprint. For those new to the rodeo, a carbon footprint is simply the negative impact you personally have on our environment through your everyday behavior. For example, the trash you produce, the lights you leave on, the running water you waste, the food you throw out, the clothes you trash rather than donate, etc. etc. For years the task at hand seemed daunting to me. How on earth (pun intended, Har!) can I make a difference?
After watching Al Gore preach to us about Global Warming a few years ago, celebrities running in flocks to trade in their Porsche 911’s, and more recently, Leo preaching on the Oscars, I wasn’t originally sure I wanted to join the revolution. Seriously, it was just too much work…. or was it? There are many ways to ease into a more eco-friendly lifestyle, and it doesn’t have to be difficult to make an impact.
Recycle, reuse, repurpose
We are all busy people, but if we just stop and take stock in the little things, WE CAN make a difference. National Geographic published in 2011 that there are now 7 billion people on the planet. If 10% of that population makes a few conscious decisions every day we can reduce our carbon footprint, and imagine if 25% of that population participated!
Think you can’t do it? Try these 7 EASY things around your home over the next thirty days and join in the revolution….it’s fun, you’ll see, and mama earth appreciates it!
7 Easy Things To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
1) Turn off the lights-if you leave a room, turn off the lights. During the day, utilize as much natural light as possible and forgo artificial.
2) Vampire energy– Random cords plugged in all over the house are charging NOTHING and wasting valuable energy; not to mention emitting EMF on your home which causes fatigue and headaches. (Computer plugs, cell phone chargers, drills, iPods…any wireless device that requires a recharge) All those cords that charge stuff shouldn’t be plugged in when they are not CHARGING.
3) Recycled-Buy products that contain post consumer product. Bottles, egg cartons, toilet paper, general packaging, cat litter etc. Most of us visit a grocery store at least twice a month if not more , make a conscious effort to buy at least three items with reused or repurposed material.
4) Showering-Make it a point to shower 1 minute less or more. Put a clock in your bathroom for a week and determine how long you typically bathe. A 10 minute shower wastes 5-8 gallons of water. Thats 2200 gallons per person a year! Think of how much you could save by cutting off an entire minute, and you will save on your water bill!
5) Make from scratch-Instead of buying harsh commercial cleaners, make your own at home. They are safer for the occupants and gentler on the environment. Remember, your soaps, detergents and scrubs all go down the drain into our water supply and get absorbed by our earth. Making your own is safer for our planet and also produces less waste!
6) Paper towels-Instead of using 20 paper towels a day, recycle old t-shirts, rags, socks or buy some from a thrift store. Rags can be used over and over and can easily be rinsed in the sink, or thrown in with the laundry without producing a ton of waste.
7) Reuse containers-Instead of buying more containers (media driven consumerism), reuse milk jugs, wine bottles, sour cream containers, egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, jelly jars etc…get creative! A gentleman in my yoga class uses a recycled/repurposed wine jug to bring water to class. Whatever it is use what you got!
Its not hard at all, and once you start making small steps, that make a big impact, you’ll find yourself doing more and more each day. Get the kids involved, teach that less is more and instill the importance of taking care of our planet. We’ve only got one, and we need to love on her like family as she does for us.
Need interior design or feng shui help? Have questions about your own space? We do virtual consultations all over the globe, click links below to learn more!Skype Consultations Virtual Design a la Carte™ Feng Shui Services