I’m currently working on a screened in porch that is being converted into a sun room. What is the difference you ask? Well a couple of things. A few years ago my clients decided to screen in their back deck. (Here in the south that is very popular because there are too many mosquitos!) But a screened in porch is still outside. You are simply protected by most of the elements – except cold and humidity. A screened in porch has a roof, and typically three walls of screen. A sunroom on the other hand gives you the feeling of being outside but you have the luxury of having windows, rather than screen material, which allows for heat and air. Ahhhhhh, so much more comfortable, am I right?
The current space is a little drab and is in need of some love:
- So what’s the plan?
- How do you take what you already have and make it luxurious?
- How do you make sure the space works for you and your family?
- How do you take your space to the next level?
How to convert a porch into a luxurious sunroom
- When converting any kind of space, first decide what it will be used for.
- Based on what the space will be used for, activity zones need to be established.
- How many people will be using the space?
- How often do you plan on using it?
- How do you want the space to feel based on the activities it’s used for?
- Create an overall design plan
- Build your budget
I say all the time that luxury is not about expense, but how the things that surround you influence your mood. Things that make you incredibly happy are what make a space feel incredible. So for this drab porch I wanted to infuse comfort, excitement, color, and zones for the different activities.
[Tweet “luxury is not about expense, but how the things that surround you influence your mood. A. Gates”]
It’s important to remember that a sunroom, just like a screened in porch will get a lot of sun. So decorate accordingly. Use finishes and fabrics that can withstand the heat and sun – because otherwise they will fade and disintegrate! Lampshades will crack, plastics will discolor and candles will melt. So decorate your space as if it’s an outdoor space. However, don’t think that an outdoor space can’t be just as luxurious as the indoor space, because it can be!
Need interior design or feng shui help? Have questions about your own space? We do virtual consultations all over the globe, click links below to learn more!Skype Consultations Virtual Design a la Carte™ Feng Shui Services