Feng Shui is the art of arranging your environment to attract a positive vibe. (If you’re new to Feng Shui, check out this video here to get you started!) By arranging objects in a certain way, your outer environment affects your inner environment, giving you positive results. As an advanced practitioner of Feng Shui myself, my goal is to harbor the BEST energy, better known as Chi. Everything in our environment is chi. And even though you can’t see it, like wind, gravity or even wi-fi, it does exist!
All of us have experienced good Chi and bad Chi in our lives. Think about it. Most of us have had the experience of entering into a room that feels amazing. I call this the warm hug. On the flip side, we’ve all experienced entering a room or meeting someone that hits us in the gut and feels bad. In fact, many of you will do things just because it feels without even realizing you’re doing it. One great example is your office. Most people will set up their office to face the door so they can see who is coming in their office area. This is considered the most auspicious placement for your desk. It allows you to face the door without being vulnerable. In my world this is called, being in command. If you don’t have your desk facing the door, start there first!
Chi is one of the most important factors in the study of feng shui. It is the core of all teachings that we build from. How is using feng shui different than simply organizing your space or decorating it in a pretty manner? Utilizing the principles of feng shui for our environment has a profound impact on us emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. If done right it vastly improves your well-being, and your state of being. And since you spend so much time in your workspace it only makes sense to improve your work surface in any way possible to improve work, and better well-being. You can also check out this video here, How to use Feng Shui to nail a job interview. It will boost your chances in getting the job! Who doesn’t want more of that?! Plus I have this great video here on how to use Feng Shui to eliminate a toxic work environment.
Alrighty! Let’s get started.
Getting started: How to feng shui your desk
The first step in feng shui is getting oriented with this tool above, the bagua map. Pronounced bag-wa, this tool aligns 9 major areas in your life into an essential energy blueprint. Utilizing this allows you to set up your desk for success.
And before you get started be sure to:
- Clear all clutter.
As Carol Olmsted states, clutter is postponed energy. It is anything unfinished, tolerated and disorganized. This leads to a chaotic, unorganized day. And as the zen proverb states, “the way you do one thing, is the way you do all things” – so make that organization count!
- Set up your desk in an imaginary grid
Just as the bagua map is set up above in 9 life areas, set up your desk in the same way. Here is a great example of what a desk might look like:
1) Bottom left corner – keep a reference book here. Something that implies learning, Knowledge, or your school books. It’s also a great place to keep working documents that keep your business moving forward. In the I Ching this area represents the mountain. So circulate Chi here.
2) Middle left – this is the family area, so place a family photo here or an object that is close to your heart. This area also represents spring and expansion, so if you’re working on new ideas, or new projects, place those ideas here.
3) Top left – place your computer or an item of wealth here. Make sure the item is in excellent working condition because this is your financial corner. This is also an excellent area to place financial goals.
4) Bottom middle – keep this area clear for work. This is your career area. Your immediate work and projects get completed here.
5) Center – this is the health area. Place herbal tea here or items that remind you to live a balanced and healthy life. I have an excellent video here on How to Optimize your health using Feng Shui.
6) Top middle – this is the fame area, so place your BIG Name Plate or stack of business cards here. Don’t have a title? Put the title of your dreams here. When I was in college my mom had a glass name plate made for me: Amanda Gates, Gates Interior Design | Feng Shui, CEO. At barely twenty years old that seemed a hefty title, but twenty years later, I’m now the CEO of my own company. Cool! And if you have the money, invest in a crystal name plate. The fancier the better, because it will make you feel really good, and you’re worth it!
7) Bottom right – this is the helpful people and travel area. I recommend a lovely book on travel . This is also the area where you connect to the divine. This is your connection to heaven and earth.The heart of Buddhas teachings is one of my favorite books, and a great item to place here to connect you to heaven.
8) Middle right – Place a book here for journaling or something that inspires creativity within you. Whatever causes that “a-ha” spark. If you are trying to get pregnant, place a book of baby names here and circle two or three of your favorites, with the affirmation, I will be pregnant by 20XX and this will be their name. This is also the area of joy. So anything that inspires you, makes you happy or brings a smile to your face – place that here!
9) Top right – this is the marriage and relationship area. Keep fresh cut flowers here or a beautiful plant. Be sure to care for your plant and tend to it just like you would a relationship. Don’t have a green thumb? Place a book of love, or two rose quartz hearts here with the intention of deep, respectful love. For those that appreciate advanced Feng Shui, this is an excellent location for a Yu Bowl.
To guarantee your best work, always set up your desk for success. Doing this will ensure organization, productivity and most importantly, better well-being. Going to work can sometimes feel like going into battle, but when you are organized and calm, you’ll be in harmony with your environment ready to kick ass and take names.
Need interior design and feng shui help? Have questions about your own space? I do virtual consultations all over the globe, click links below to learn more!