- The heritage cook
- 4ears fresh sweet corn or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1lb. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1Tbsp. vinegar
- 1tsp. salt
- 115.5-oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 16-oz. pkg. Southern-style corn bread mix
- 1tsp. ground ancho chili or chili powder
- Olive oil
- Fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley or cilantro leaves (optional)
1.If using fresh corn, cut kernels from cobs; set aside.
2.Meanwhile, coarsely chop, halve, and/or slice tomatoes. In small saucepan combine tomatoes, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. For fritter batter, in large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Add corn, corn bread mix, egg, ground chili, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water; stir to combine.
3.Heat a large griddle or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Drop four 1/2-cup scoops of batter on griddle at a time. Cook 4 minutes per side. Serve fritters with warm tomatoes and parsley and/or cilantro. Makes 4 servings.