- 1Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup finely chopped red onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2a yellow sweet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 5oz. uncooked chorizo sausage
- 1/2cup chopped tomato, fresh or canned
- 1tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2tsp. ground cumin
- 4oz. grated queso fresco (3/4 cup)
- 117.3-oz. pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed
- 1egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1Tbsp. milk
- 1recipe Sweet Pepper Topper (optional)
- Taco sauce or salsa (optional)
1.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and sweet pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 minutes. Add the chorizo, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the sausage, until the sausage is no longer pink, 5 minutes. Drain fat. Return to heat and add the tomato, oregano, and cumin to the meat mixture and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is almost dry, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Let cool. Add the queso fresco and stir to combine.
2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the puff pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. With a 3-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut 24 circles. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of each circle. Combine beaten egg yolk with milk. Brush edges of half the circle with egg wash. Fold circle over to enclose filling; pinch edges together to seal. Brush tops with egg wash. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.
3.Serve warm topped with Sweet Pepper Topper and taco sauce for dipping. Makes 24 hand pies.
Sweet Pepper Topper: In small bowl combine 1 cup chopped yellow and/or orange sweet pepper, 1/3 cup chopped pitted ripe olives, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley.
Make Ahead: Unbaked or baked hand pies can be made well in advance and frozen. Remove from freezer; place on ungreased baking sheets in single layer. For frozen unbaked pies, bake 17 to 19 minutes. If baked before freezing, reheat 5 to 6 minutes on top rack of a 400 degree F oven.
recipe from: BHG.com