Feng shui is the art of arranging your environment to attract a positive vibe. By arranging objects in a certain way, your outer environment affects your inner environment, giving you positive results. As a practitioner of feng shui myself, my goal is to harbor energy, better known as chi. Everything in our environment is chi. And even though you can’t see it, like wind, gravity or even wi-fi, it does exist!
All of us have experienced good chi and bad chi in our lives. In fact, many of us do things in a way because it feels better – ultimately directing chi, without even realizing it. One great example is your office. Most people will set up their office to face the door. This is considered the most auspicious placement to place your desk. It allows you to face the door without being vulnerable. If you don’t have your desk facing the door, start there first.
Chi is one of the most important factors in the study of feng shui. It is the core of all the other teachings that we build from. How is using feng shui different than simply organizing your space or decorating it in a pretty manner? Utilizing the principles of feng shui for our environment has a profound impact on us emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. If done right it vastly improves our well-being, and our state. And since we spend so much time in our workspaces it only makes sense to improve our work surfaces, and spaces in any way possible to improve work, and better well-being. You can also get my free ebook on how to improve your bottom line using feng shui, which will boost productivity and profit. Who doesn’t want more of that?!
Getting started: How to feng shui your desk
The first step in feng shui is getting oriented with this tool above, the bagua map. Pronounced bag-wa, this tool aligns 9 major areas in our life into an essential energy blueprint. Utilizing this allows us to set up our desk for success.
And before we get started be sure to:
- Clear all clutter.
As Carol Olmsted states, clutter is postponed energy. It is anything unfinished, tolerated and disorganized. This leads to a chaotic, unorganized day. And as the zen proverb states, the way you do one thing, is the way you do all things – so make that organization count!
- Set up your desk in a grid
Just as the bagua map is set up above in 9 life areas, set up your desk in the same way. Here is a great example of what a desk might look like:
2) Middle left – this is the family area, so place a family photo here or an object that is close to your heart.
3) Top left – place your computer or an item of wealth here. Make sure the item is in excellent working condition because this is your financial corner.
4) Bottom middle – keep this area clear for work. This is your career area. SO your immediate work and projects get completed here.
5) Center – this is the health area. Place herbal tea here or items that remind you to live a balanced and healthy life.
6) Top middle – this is the fame area, so place your BIG Name Plate or stack of business cards here. Don’t have a title? Put the title of your dreams here. When I was in college my mom had a glass name plate made for me: Amanda Gates, Gates Interior Design, CEO. At barely twenty years old that seemed a hefty title, but twenty years later, I’m now the CEO of my own company. Cool! And if you have the money, invest in a crystal name plate. The fancier the better, because it will make you feel really good, and you’re worth it!
7) Bottom right – this is the helpful people and travel area. I always recommend a silver box with helpful affirmations or a lovely book on travel
8) Middle right – Place a book here for journaling or something that inspires creativity within you. Whatever causes that “a-ha” spark. If you are trying to get pregnant, place a book of baby names here and circle two or three of your favorites, with the affirmation, I will be pregnant by 20XX and this will be their name.
9) Top right – this is the marriage and relationship area. Keep fresh cut flowers here or a beautiful plant. Be sure to care for your plant and tend to it just like you would a relationship. Don’t have a green thumb? Place a book of love, or two rose quartz hearts here with the intention of deep, respectful love.
To guarantee our best work, always set up your desk for success. Doing this will ensure organization, productivity and most importantly, better well-being. Going to work can sometimes feel like going into battle, but when you are organized and calm, you’ll be harmony with your environment ready to kick ass and take names.
Need interior design or feng shui help? Have questions about your own space? We do virtual consultations all over the globe, click links below to learn more!Skype Consultations Virtual Design a la Carte™ Feng Shui Services